Sat, 19 Sept|
Get Started With Home Education - Online Workshop
An information workshop for parents who are new to, or considering home education for their child.
Time & Location
19 Sept 2020, 10:00 – 11:30
About the Event
An action packed Zoom workshop that will take you through the ins and outs of home education. We will cover a lot of ground including:
- What is home education?
- Why do you do it?
- How do you do it?
- A day in the life - what might home education look like in practise?
- How to navigate legal requirements, local authority expectations and how to de-register your child from school.
- Self care for parents (how to avoid burnout when the kids are home all day)
- Coping with opposition.
- Different ideologies and ways to home educate (will you take a more formal structured approach or will you teach through play and life experiences?)
- What about the S word? How to ensure your child has opportunity to socialise.
- And finally how to get started.
This workshop is aimed at those who are considering home education or who have just started on their home-ed journey. If you have been educating your children at home for some time, you are welcome to join us if you feel you will benefit from the subjects being covered.
The workshop will run for approximately 1 hour and we will stay online afterwards to answer any questions you might have.
The workshop will take place on Zoom and will be led by Hannah Hall and Clare Berry.
Hannah was home-educated as a child and is now home educating her own children. She will be sharing practical help and ideas from a student and parent perspective. Clare (Hannah's mother) has a vast amount of experience with home education. First she was a home-ed mum, then a trained school teacher, she used to serve on a county council on the education committee and now works as a private tutor for both schooled and home-educated children. Her experience covers education from every angle.
You will receive a workbook that will help you to create your own home education vision and help you to understand your reasons for choosing this journey. It will also include some helpful links and resource ideas.